A good old standby, and usually a summer favorite, but in the spirit of football I made this tonight! Everyone always asks me what I eat, since I don’t eat meat. Well, you can see my veggie burger next Ruben’s on the grill. That’s what I eat when I prepare this meal for the boys.
What goes Into it?
- 1 Pound 85% ground beef (I buy the grass fed organic type)
- 2-4 Jalapeños (depending on heat) with the seeds and veined removed, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp fresh ground black pepper
Combine ingredients in a bowl and combine thoroughly. Roll in to 4 equal balls. Place ball on a paper plate, put a piece of wax paper over the top and press to shape. Form with your hands to make sure it’s all stuck together and then put next ball on top and cover again with wax paper..repeat until all are made. You’ll have a nice stack of burgers.
Pop onto 500 degree grill for 3-5 min on the first side then flip. Half of the way through cooking on the second side top with a slice of cheese (cheddar, pepper jack what ever you like) and let cheese melt. Remove from grill and serve on toasted rolls, preferably fresh flaky ones. These were onion rolls that I used tonight, but you could use any type. Slather the rolls with your favorite spreads…I use Mayo and Dijon then top with tomatoes, lettuce and red onion.
- 1 Bunch asparagus (thin, not woody! They have to be fresh otherwise this is NOT yummy but chewy and yucky) By woody I mean, look at the bottom of the stems. Are they dried out? Do they look yellow and thick? Then they will NOT taste good.
- 6 Garlic cloves, Minced
- 4 Tblsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
Wash Asparagus and cut off at least the first inch, off of the bottom of the bunch. Place in to Ziploc with olive oil, salt and minced garlic. Seal and toss to coat. Let sit refrigerated for 1-2 hours.
Throw onto the grill about 2 min after you start cooking your burgers (put them on a bit cooler part of the grill). Make sure to rotate them often and remove when you are putting the cheese on the burgers and place them into a covered dish. Serve hot, although i have been known to eat all of the leftover cold ones as I am washing the dishes!